home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other

Dunfermline Abbey, Dunfermline, Fife

Note: the text in the square brackets ([...]) are a short form of references which have been used to deduce the corresponding information.
The meaning of the site and item attributes is explained in the glossary.

Site Id: 45.1.1
Rating: Nothing
Address: St. Margaret Street
Location: Dunfermline, Fife KY12 7PE, Scotland
Lat/Lng: 56.06987, -3.46373
Tiffany 1910: Not listed
Duncan 1980: Page 224
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Tiffany 1893: Not listed
Tiffany 1886: Not listed
Completeness: High
Building status: Extant
Building date:
Architect:
Also of interest:

Site Items

45.1.1.1: Carnegie Memorial Window: landscape (1913) (Removed)

Item 45.1.1.1

Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Removed [ORG_NEW]
Confidence: High
Memorial name: Carnegie Memorial Window
Description: landscape [TIFF1913, TIFF1922, DUNC1980]
Tiffany 1910: Not listed
Duncan 1980: Page 224
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Other Tiffany documentation: Tiffany 1913 and Tiffany 1922 show a design for the window [TIFF1913, TIFF1922]
Signature:
Other documentation: [NYH1913, NYS1913A, NYS1913B, NYS1913C, SLPD1913, DFP1913]
Record type: Window
Designer:
Memorial details: William Carnegie (19 Jun 1804 - 2 Oct 1855), Margaret Morrison Carnegie (19 Jun 1810 - 11 Nov 1886), their son, Thomas Morrison Carnegie (2 Oct 1844 - 19 Oct 1886), and daughter [NYS1913B, NYS1913C, SLPD1913, DFP1913, TIFF1913, TIFF1922, FINDAGRAVE]
Donor: son / son / brother / brother, Andrew Carnegie [NYH1913, NYS1913A, NYS1913B, NYS1913C, SLPD1913, DFP1913, TIFF1913, TIFF1922]
and also his wife [TIFF1913, TIFF1922]
Date: Commissioned ca. 1911 [NYS1913C, SLPD1913, DFP1913]
Exhibited May 1913 [NYS1913A]
Size:
Lancets: 1 [PHOTO, TIFF1913, TIFF1922]
Inscription: on panel which was going to be placed beneath window: In loving memory of / Father, Mother, Sister and Brother / born in Dumferline / Erected by the sole survivor / Andrew Carnegia / and his wife / 1913 [TIFF1913, TIFF1922]
Category: Landscape
History: Window was in storage until 1937 [ORG_NEW]
From 1937 located in auditorium of Carnegie Hall, Dunfermline (SITE:45.1.2), and from 1992 in Tiffany Restaurant adjacent to Hall, until 2005 [ORG_NEW]
From 2007 located in Andrew Carnegie House, Carnegie Dunfermline Trust, Dunfermline (SITE:45.1.3) [ORG_NEW]
Comment: The window was never installed in the Abbey because in the end the subject was deemed inappropriate by the powers that be [NYS1913B, NYS1913C, SLPD1913, DFP1913, ORG_NEW]
Same as item: 45.1.2.1; 45.1.3.1

References

DFP1913: Detroit Free Press (15 Dec 1913, p. 1)
DUNC1980: Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980)
FINDAGRAVE: Findagrave.com, for deducing biographical or genealogical information
NYH1913: New York Herald (28 Feb 1913, p. 11)
NYS1913A: New York Sun (18 May 1913, p. 11)
NYS1913B: New York Sun (13 Dec 1913, p. 1)
NYS1913C: New York Sun (14 Dec 1913, p. 1, 5)
ORG_NEW: Organization that is new owner
PHOTO: Photo of item
SLPD1913: St. Louis Post-Dispatch (14 Dec 1913, p. 14B)
TIFF1886: Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (6 Feb 1886)
TIFF1893: Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893)
TIFF1897: A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897)
TIFF1910: A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910)
TIFF1913: Memorials in Glass and Stone, Tiffany Studios (1913)
TIFF1922: Memorials in Glass and Stone, Tiffany Studios, (1922, second edition)

home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other