Cambridge 2000: Free School Lane: 1
|Description: Free School Lane: 1|
|Date built: 1500s|
One of a couple of old buildings, dating to the late 16th
century, located at the corner of Free School Lane and
Bene't Street (number 1 Free School Lane is also number
13 Bene't Street). In late medieval times the area was
occupied by an Augustinian Friary and the building
was also known as the Friary House.
It was almost completely rebuilt in 1975, and textured
patterns appropriate for a 1600 era building were added
to the external walls by the plasterer Ivan Howlett.
Other photographs within 100 m: