Cambridge 2000: Lucy Cavendish College: Madingley Road: Marshall House (Balliol Croft)
A strangely narrow building for this neighbourhood,
now part of Lucy Cavendish College. The college
bought the house in 1991, at which time
they renamed it from Balliol Croft, its original
name, to Marshall House, in honour of Alfred Marshall,
the economist, who, along with his wife Mary Paley
Marshall, was the first owner.
Marshall was a Fellow at St John's but when he
married Paley in 1877 he had to give up his fellowship.
He then went to Bristol and in 1883 moved on to become
a Fellow at Balliol College, Oxford, before returning
to Cambridge in 1884. This perhaps explains the origin
of the name of the house.
When the college bought the house, they converted it
to student accommodation, but in 2001 it was converted
back to the original layout and became the President's
Other photographs within 200 m: