Cambridge 2000: Trinity College: Great Court: King Edward's Tower
King Edward's Tower is where the Great Court clock is located
which rings the hour twice, supposedly once for Trinity and
once for St John's. It is this clock which is used to time
the race by students (now discouraged) around Great Court at
midnight on the night of the annual Matriculation Feast, as
featured in the film 'The Chariots of Fire' (although Trinity
did not allow this to be filmed in college). The idea is to
run around the pavement at the edge of the court before the
clock finishes ringing, and the only way most people can do
this is by cutting corners.
The tower was originally located partway in to Great Court,
near where the sundial is now located (which can be seen in
In 1600 the tower was rebuilt in its current location.
It was increased in height, including the addition of the
cupola, to its current size in around 1610.
is to the right in the picture.
Other photographs within 100 m: